The original underground dating guide

30 Apr

Leave St Paul's underground station from Exit 2 and cross Newgate Street at the traffic lights.

the original underground dating guide-43the original underground dating guide-54the original underground dating guide-90

In 1339, The Worshipful Company of Goldsmiths had acquired land here and built the earliest recorded livery hall on this site.

This walk explores nearly 2000 years of London's history, with gardens built around Roman remains and church ruins, the gardens of city livery companies, and those made in churchyards and on bombsites after WW2.

The walk starts and finishes at St Paul's underground station.

During World War 2, the City suffered enormous damage - large areas were completely destroyed in the Blitz.

Many of the buildings we see today are post-war, including the Barbican Estate, which is considered an important example of concrete Brutalist architecture.